Home improvement can be stressful, and we’re no strangers to that tension leading to some pretty memorable arguments. So today we’re looking at some data about what do-it-yourself projects cause the most issues between couples to see if we agree (and we share a recent fight we had in the name of data). We also reveal some takeaways from a recent house staging project that we took on together, including the big secret to getting your home ready to sell and how you may have to unlearn everything you know about decorating. Plus, John falls for another lighting product, Sherry ups her face game, and we see if people really do hate textured walls after all.
You can download this episode from Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn Radio, and – or listen to it below! Note: If you’re reading in a feed reader, you may have to click through to the post to see the player.
- That room above is the basement living space from the recent staging project that we worked on together. As you can see in the before photo below, it was acting as sort of a “gaming room” for the family. Note that they were in the midst of packing and moving, so things were a bit more scattered than their usual day-to-day (reminder: moving is messy).
- Sherry will go into more detail when we write up a full post about this project, but you can see how we minimized the amount of stuff in the room and on the walls – because the goal isn’t to sell the decor, it’s to sell the house. They also repainted the walls throughout the house with Sherry’s paint recommendation (White Dove by Benjamin Moore with Extra White trim by Sherwin Williams) before we swept through on the final staging day.
- On our final day we moved some furniture around (for example, flanking the TV with two chairs to disguise some of the TV components) and then lightly styled the space – without putting anything on the walls at all except for the star over the mantel.
Game: DIY Fights
Update: Textured Walls
- And here’s some data (you know I LOVE DATA) that we gathered about textured WALLS, which appear to be more common in the western/midwestern portions of the United States (shown in the purple shades below):
- Whereas textured CEILINGS are a bit more evenly spread out:
- We often get asked for a tutorial for removing textured walls or ceilings, but since we haven’t had any of them in any of our hoes, we haven’t done one – at least not yet. Sorry about that, but I’d check youtube and I bet a million will come up.
If you’re looking for something we’ve dug in a past episode, but don’t remember which show notes to click into, here’s a master list of everything we’ve been digging from all of our past episodes. You can also see all the books we’ve recommended on our page.
And lastly, a big thank you to Grove Collaborative for sponsoring this episode. Sign up at and spend your first $20 to receive a FREE gift: a trio of Mrs. Meyers cleaners, a 60-day VIP Membership AND a surprise bonus gift on top of all that.
Thanks for listening, guys!
*This post contains affiliate links*
The post #140: The Most Fight-Inducing DIYs Out There appeared first on Young House Love.
This content was originally published here.