Who doesn’t love a nice warm fireplace on a winter’s evening? Fireplaces in the home represent warmth, family, and a feeling of coziness.
Whether it’s a gas fireplace, wood, coal or electric, there are some safety tips you should be aware of when installing and maintaining one in your home.
Gas, wood, and coal are all fossil fuel burning fireplaces, which means they can give off carbon monoxide in the home if not vented properly. Electric on the other hand does not give off any carbon monoxide, though you still need to be careful of the electrical wiring involved and proper voltage is in place to power it.
We purchased a beautiful linear fireplace in Toronto last year for our condo and absolutely love it! It’s an electric fireplace that matches our modern decor and provides lots of heat and ambiance for our home.
But whatever kind of fireplace you decide to purchase, just be away of some common safety tips first.
If you will be installing it in your existing chimney, be sure your flu vent is working properly and the chimney shoot is cleaned properly before use.
When using fossil fuel burning fireplaces, always be sure that the room is properly vented, even leaving a window slightly open or at least doors to other rooms open. Not only can carbon monoxide build up in the home if not vented, but the fire could consume the oxygen in the room if it is an enclosed area. Proper ventilation is important!
For safety, always be sure that combustibles are clear of your fireplace and that you have a proper screen or glass door in place when using it. Kids can get burned and fire could light nearby paper, etc if you are not careful.
And never leave a fireplace lit unattended, always put it out before going to bed or leaving your home.
Hope these tips helped and did not scare you, having a fireplace in the home is a wonderful thing and can bring the family together on a cold winter’s evening.